After refining my questions, my interview protocol is now as follows:
Let’s use IM to chat for privacy.
“Have you read the information provided to you in the Informed Consent notecard?”
“Do you voluntarily agree to participate in this interview?”
“Are there any questions I can answer for you before we begin?”
1) Tell me about why you use Second Life
2) Try to remember the last time that you wanted to know about something and you used SL to pursue the issue. This can be big or small, important or trivial. Tell me about what you needed & what you did about it.
What prompted you to be looking for this information in the first place?
- How did you try to get at the information you needed?
- What was the result?
- What would you say was most important in this process of trying to find what you needed, using SL?
3) What SL tools, resources or information would you recommend to a friend?
- How did you find these tools/resources/information?
4) What things have been barriers to your getting the information, help or resources you need in SL?
5) How would you say trying to find information in SL compares to RL?
“I would like to ask you about some RL information. How do you feel about that? Again, everything you share with me is kept totally confidential, and you can choose not to answer if you don’t want to without explaining anything to me.”
6) Demographic information
- Country you live in
- Ethnicity or Race
- Educational background
- First language
7) Quick questions:
- When did you first start using SL?
- How often & for how long do you use SL?
- Have you ever used a library in SL? Why?
- Do you use libraries in RL?